Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Cake & Lake!!

Alrighty, back to normal (for now!).  As per my usual, when I haven't updated in a while I simply upload a million pics and fill in with a some descriptions! I did enjoy catching up with my other friends' blogs when we got home and settled (shout out Rachel, Jil & Nicole!!).  I always love knowing what's going on in your lives! 

Last Sunday evening we had the fam over to celebrate Miles' bday a few days early! I was leaving the next day for my dad's place on Lake Martin, Paul & Kathy were headed to Canada, and poor Luke was going to be home all by his lonesome.  So, we celebrated early so everyone could participate.  I did whip up a last-minute cake (I'm quite proud, I'll admit...and it was tasty, too!) and some home-made "Cherry Garcia" ice cream for the festivities.  Sadly, we waited a bit too late to give Miles his cake, and he wasn't too interested.  I mean, seriously, when has this kid NOT been interested in eating anything! What a bummer! Here are some pics of the sweet bday boy!




Grandma D and her "two boys"


Started with the green star, then made my way outward with the other colors...



The obsession with balloons (and beaded necklaces) continues...all the way to the lake

stopped in Bham for the night and stayed with Robert & Erica...no, Miles did not climb up the playground himself...Aunt Erica join them (sorry Chic Fil A!) despite the "3 and under" sign :-)
And that's why she's such an awesome aunt!

 Ah, the lake!! Would choose this over the beach ANY day!

In depth discussion about tattoos.  I had to explain to him that even though PapaRara had one that he was absolutely not allowed.  He continued to request a butterfly "too" on his arm.

Apparently, Rara also took pottying into his own hands...glad this one didn't catch on!

birthday rockstar!

feeding the turtles our leftovers is always a favorite!


excited about his gifts from Aunt Monica & Aunt Laura
side note: my two best friends from undergrad try to make it to the lake every summer! we had to skip
last summer, but we were SO glad it worked out this time!!

"hey it's your birthday"

yogurt & cheetos...lunch of champions!

Aunt Laura found this tent and filled it with balls...I don't think they liked it at all...




Laura, Monica & Me...such great, easy friends! Very thankful for them. 

So, this next picture explains why I found Elijah drinking water from the toilet bowl much like this...
the cats can teach him this, but I can't teach him to potty...amazing! Guess I need to start training the cats to use the commode!

sweet, summer corn....delish!

Miles had his one year visit today! Current stats...
27.2 lbs (95%)
32 inches (>95%)

in other words, the nickname "pork chop" is totally appropriate!



Also, we are so so so happy that we have Tabby here for TWO WHOLE WEEKS!! Tabby is a great friend from PA that we worshipped with.  It's so good to have her here, and she's already been such a help!  We all love her, and we're thankful she has some time here before starting her last year of high school!! Tonite we went to Chic Fil A for their Family Free Tuesdays...basically, kids eat free and they have fun crafts (i.e. face painting!)


Ok, so don't judge me too hard, but every time I see this, I literally laugh out loud!  We decided to run the Bertha through the car wash, and needless to say, Miles was utterly terrified! He quickly recovered, however, and was back to his happy self!  I still can't stop laughing.


Well, folks, that's all she wrote!  We have a super busy week/weekend ahead that we are very much looking forward to!  I hope you all are doing well and beating this heat somehow! Tomorrow, we're pulling out the water hose and slip-n-slide!  


3 comments:

  1. Love the cake!!!! You did a great job!!! I would like to think Elijah is practicing his water locating skills for the many backpacking trips he will one day be doing. Love ya! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and stories. The cakes are awesome and look like they took a lot of time and skill. I am very impressed. (I laughed at the last two pictures as well - especially once I knew that Miles made a quick recovery.)
    ~Jil

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL- also can't stop laughing at Miles's face!!

    ReplyDelete