Did I want to move to PA? No! In fact, the day Luke paged me at work to tell me he matched in York, Pennsylvania, I cried so hard that they sent me home at lunch! Seriously. That wasn’t in the plans…it wasn’t what I wanted! But, I quickly got over it by telling myself, “It’s just for a year!” Funny enough, that following January we found out we’d be staying for 3 more! Luke matched at Hershey, and I cried again! I didn’t want to be so far from home, from family, from friends, from my mother who was so sick at the time. We wanted to start a family, but we would be so far away from home! I didn’t understand why my plans and my prayers weren’t working out! It’s not what I WANTED, but now I know that it’s what we NEEDED.
You’ve probably all heard the lyrics, “…some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.” My dad calls it “the gospel according to Garth.” Ha! But, it’s true, the Lord knows our wants, but gives us what we need. Although we weren’t where we “wanted” to be, the Lord blessed us with what we needed at the time. He knew that I needed a flexible job that allowed me to be home with Mom. He knew that we would need a loving, supportive church family and amazing group of friends when she passed away. We wanted to be pregnant, but perhaps He knew we needed to struggle with infertility in order to open our hearts and minds to the idea of adoption.
All in all, I can look at the last 3 years and get a glimpse of God’s wisdom versus my “plans”. In all the things I didn’t want, He has blessed us immensely. Perhaps He is teaching me (and I am finally learning) to “lean not on my own understanding” and trust Him.
“Praise the Lord, O my soul and forget not all his benefits – who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desire with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” (Psalm 103:2-5)
Here are some of those unexpected gifts and blessings…
Trying out the Bumbo...I don't think we're quite ready! But, getting there!

Eli loves the mobiles over his crib...yes, we have two! My brother found Luke's old mobile somewhere in the attic and brought it to us!
Wow - I so could have written this entry! By the way, I have been meaning to tell you that I was cleaning out some boxes from college the other day and came across the pecan pie cut out that you sent me for Christmas one year. It made me laugh! I have never been so addicted to pecan pie as I was at Georgetown! Anyway, almost four years ago I was diagnosed with cancer and it sent my whole world into a tailspin. I was dealing with the recovery when I found out that my husband was cheating on me so I ended up getting a divorce during treatment. After I got better I decided to get closer to my family and go back to school. I told God - I'll go anywhere but Lubbock and Texas Tech. Guess what school was the only one I was accepted at? I cried for DAYS because I knew God wanted me to go back to school but I did not want to come back to West Texas. I had worked so hard to leave this dry dusty oil town behind and here I was faced with returning to the one place I didn't want to go. And I was mad! Maybe if I didn't get cancer in the first place MY plans for my life would have worked out. But I had a stiff drink and a long talk with the Lord and decided I would move to Lubbock. This is going to shock you but it was the absolute best decision I have made. I love it here, I love school, I love my new church and the friends that I have made and God has brought a really awesome guy into my life. I wouldn't have any of that if my plans would have worked out. I always tell people that cancer was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I didn't think that initially but looking back I can see God leading me to where I am today and I am happier than I have been in a long time. So you're not the only one who is learning to trust and obey!
ReplyDeleteHey Shannon
ReplyDeleteThe post and pictures were wonderful. He is growing so fast. Can't wait to meet him! The Lord has truely blessed you. When one door closes another one opens! Give Eli a big kiss for me. Love you.
Mee Maw Judy
What a great reminder of the amazing things that God works out for us. You guys are a beautiful family! Is Eli already holding his head up? What a strong boy! Hudson isn't there yet. We're still not sleeping longer than 2-3 (and that's a good night) hours at night...
ReplyDelete