Friday, May 4, 2012

Home Improvement, Fishing, and Other Stuff...

Ah, nothing says home improvement like a trip to Lowes!  And, who knew they had such fun race car themed carts for the boys to share??  I think Luke had more fun "racing" (literally, engine and all) them through the store than they did!  

Anyway, I have really been itching to get the house more "settled" feeling.  Ya know, it's a fantastic house that we all love and are SO BLESSED to have...but it just isn't "home" yet.  I have very few pictures hung, and I am having a hard time getting inspired to decorate.  I think it's the pressure of knowing that this will likely be the longest we have EVER spent in ONE location since being married.  So, anyway, I am now full-fledged in a task to put "us" into this house!  So, off to Lowes...


I decided to start with the yard because it gives me instant gratification! I do not claim to be a green thumb, but my mom sure was and it give the house some charm from the outside. 

nothing says "southern" more than some big ole front porch ferns

It's already looking better than these pictures from just a couple of weeks ago!  The side beds are full of multi-colored impatiens that are starting to take off!


I have since moved from the yard to the walls inside! I am scouring through my photos and trying to update most of my frames before hanging/arranging them around the house.  More pics on that later...


Next, this is our neighborhood friend.  We'll call him "Shasmad" here.  Anyway, we're almost positive that he has Asperger's.  Shasmad is kind, friendly, LOVES the boys, and really enjoys the attention we give him, but (as per that particular diagnosis) has no social skills/filter whatsoever.  They neighbors have told us that he circles our driveway on his bike until we come home.  Often times we have to ask him to leave at 7pm so that we can eat dinner and put the boys to bed.

Anyway, we do try to hang out with him as much as we can, and Luke has taken a particular (sweet, encouraging, PATIENT) interest in him.  He is 14 and had never been fishing, so Luke took him with Elijah one day and has since bought him a pole.  Shasmad showed more excitement and emotion over that fishing pole that I've ever seen..."Niiiiiiiiice," he said in his loud, flat, 14 year old, pre-adolescent voice!  Since then, Luke has taught him to dig for worms, hook them, cast, and tie on his own hooks/bobbers.  I am so thankful that Luke has the patience to give this sweet boy some positive attention.  

the 3 amigos walking to the fishing pond

Shasmad and one of his fish!

As for the boys, they are doing well.  I am really enjoying Miles' newfound mobility, and he is too! Bath time is one of their favorites together.



In Hershey, we were introduced to the concept of a CSA (community shared agriculture).  Have you heard of them??  Basically, you buy "shares" of a local, organic farm, and then you receive weekly drop-offs of their harvest.  We LOVED doing this in PA with our neighbors Lauren & Ray, and it was one of the first things we looked into when we moved here.

We are currently splitting a full share with Luke's parents, and it has been great so far!  We picked up our first harvest a month ago, and we will continue to get fresh produce every Thursday through August.  So far, we have had bibb lettuce, sorrell, bok choy, swiss chard, red leaf lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini, herbs, eggs, kale, arugula, spring lettuce mix, and lots more that I am currently forgetting!  Anyway, it's has been so fun trying all of this new food and looking for new recipes! It has certainly made cooking a fun challenge! I would HIGHLY recommend doing this next fall/summer for those of you who haven't!

Also, the Collierville Farmer's Market started yesterday, and our CSA sells produce there if you are interested.  Always yummy!

Isn't this swiss chard gorgeous and colorful?!

Elijah is still "parenting' his stuffed lion and giraffe.  Two days ago I had to pretend to change their diapers since "they pooped".  And, also, to encourage Elijah to let me do the same (why does he fight me when I want to change a stinky diaper...who wants to run around in that??).  So, both stuffed animals have been sporting diapers lately. :-)

Future athlete?  At his 9mo appointment last week his pediatrician asked me if he had a sports agent yet due to his height/weight stats.  Guess we'll see!


I am about 90% sure that Elijah will be a lefty (I promise, this was not forced even though I think lefties are pretty awesome!). Hence, the fishing pole is upside down while reeling it in...he tries with his right, but quickly flips it over to do it with his left.

And, lastly, the most recent video of Miles.  Pretty funny! "Elijah" will probably be his first real world since he hears me say it 1,472 times a day!  


Thanks everyone! Enjoy your weekend.  It's gonna be HOT here in Memphis! May have to bust out the sprinkler! Take Care!

Shannon & The Boys

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that it makes me whole day when you post new pictures? :) Your kids. I mean, they are the cutest things. Ever. I love the video. Hee hee. I also meant to comment on the last post- Elijah's facial expressions are so funny. He just seems like am embracer of life. Also, yes, please try to record him singing "Twinkle Twinkle" in public. He makes me laugh. I am so happy I have actually had the chance to meet him in real life!!!

    You guys are so awesome. Of course the neighborhood boy is obsessed with y'all. You guys are so sweet. I taught several kids with Aspergers, and it definitely requires patience. Luke is inspiring! :)

    Yay for new blog posts! Such precious kiddos.

    ReplyDelete